Tuesday 24 February 2009

Timecode at DCA Dundee

This weekend I went to the Timecode exhibition at the DCA, Dundee. Since it's the DCA's 10th anniversary year the work was all linked with the theme of time passing.

There was a really interesting sound piece from Kelly Mark titled "I really should" which was a spoken stream of consciousness where Mark listed things such as "I really should check my blood pressure... I really should go and see the world... I really should have used primer... I really should join the going trend. I really should celebrate my uniqueness." This list had originally been a film but was translated to a written piece on a fridge and now as this sound piece

Another interesting piece was Beacon by John Thomson and Alison Craighead using a mechanical railway flap sign to display internet searches someone somewhere is making at that moment in time. Every few minutes the public information sign changes acting like an "endless piece of concrete poetry; the authors of each line of text remain totally anonymous, whilst the viewer experiences a random stream of information that indicates current interests and preoccupations."  Reading each line as it appears gives you a real curiosity for who was searching, why they were and what results they read etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers